Makarska rests on the sea, south of Split, under the formidable mountain of Biokovo, attractive to many active holiday lovers and visitors of Robinsonesque spirit. The symbol of Makarska is a city pebble beach, stretching over two kilometres, enveloped in lively bars and clubs, perfect for a night on the town. The beauty of nature as well as the abundant seasonal offer of sports, entertainment and local delicacies, make Makarska the favourite summer destination for many tourists.
Loading map, please stand by!
Ouch. There are no results for the selected category, period and/or location. Try another combination!
- The perfect place to watch the sunset, both from the beach or the mountain slopes of Biokovo
- Located between two peninsulas, St. Peter and Osejava, Makarska offers wonderful places for a seaside stroll
- Comic book fans can't miss out on Mafest which gathers the cream of the comic book scene crop (in May)
- It is gladly visited by pilgrims who tour the unique cave Vepric with a wonderful shire
In Makarska you'll find a fascinating Malacological museum, the only one in the country, where collections of shells from the Adriatic Sea, but from other seas and oceans as well, are kept. Here, there is also a treasured herbarium of Biokovo mountain plants, and in the museum garden, found under the roof of a Franciscan Monastery, there is a wonderful collection of living, authentic plants from the Biokovo area. Besides being a sight to behold, it holds wonderful scents and aromas, so you'll find a visit to this museum to be a pleasure in more ways than one! Did you know? In the wonderful green park, at the very entrance to the city port, we find St. Peter, the peninsula of love. Here you can lock you love with a padlock, and we recommend that you to this in the evening since then you'll be able to catch the romantic sunset. A truly special experience, take our word for it!
Best time to visit Makarska
- The Makarska Riviera is sunny 2,750 hours a year.
- Air temperature: approximately 20°C from June to September
- Sea temperature: above 20°C from June to October
- A pleasant Mediterranean climate with warm summers and mild winters
Makarska is enchanting in spring time when the nature is waking up and the weather becomes comfortable for outdoors activities such as cycling, hiking, walking or rock climbing and pit exploration. During the summer, the town transforms into a bustling hive of events, the sea is warm, and the beaches are enticing people to go sunbathe and relax. Autumn offers a quiet environment for exploring the surrounding area, and the winter is ideal for healing the body and the spirit in the local wellness centres.
Why visit Makarska
- Enjoy every step on the 10 kilometres long Riviera with many pebble beaches
- Ride your bike to the peak of Biokovo where you'll see enchanting, heavenly panoramas
- Take a peek into the world of stars at Makarska Observatory and the Astro Park in town centre
- See a play or listen to the unique traditional a cappella singing (klapa singing) at the Makarska Cultural Summer
- Feel the buzz in the historical core of the city at the traditional festivity Kalalarga Night
- Try out local delicacies: Makarska pašticada, fresh fish and the delicious Makarana cake
- Take up a day trip to the surrounding islands of Brač, Hvar and Korčula
Choose Makarska for the magnificent blue sea and endless pebble beaches in the shade of pine trees, where you'll find your own fragrant piece of heaven. Since you're already here, don't miss out on the chance to hike up Biokovo for it eagerly awaits...