In the southeast of the Austrian state of Salzburg, at a dizzying 1,740 m above sea level, lies Obertauern, a popular ski resort that receives the most natural snow in the whole of Austria. In addition to impressive skiing seasons, which here last from November to May, Obertauern draws in crowds with a network of around a hundred developed ski slopes for skiers of all levels. We invite you to combine them with outstanding cuisine, wellness and a plethora of accompanying amenities!
TOP 4 enchanting attractions in the vicinity of Obertauern
- Take your family to Gnadenalm, a cross-country paradise and biathlon centre, where snow is guaranteed during the winter as are idyllic mountain trails and pastures in the summer.
- Spend the day descending the wide slopes of the Grosseck–Speiereck/Mauterndorf–St. Michael ski resort, followed by indulging yourself in fragrant specialities in warm mountain huts.
- Dive into the world of aquatic pleasure in the hot springs of the adjacent town of Altenmarkt in Pongau, just 25 km from Obertauern.
- Put on your bowling shoes and get the party rolling at the cutting-edge Alpin Life Resort Lurzerhof bowling alley, 11 km away in Untertauern.
- If you like playing it safe when it comes to snow, Obertauern boasts the thickest snow cover in Austria, 26 state-of-the-art ski lifts and 100 km of ski slopes ranging from intermediate to easy or extreme, such as the Gamsleiten 2 for adrenaline addicts.
- Learn how to ski and snowboard with the help of top-notch instructors at the skiing and snowboarding school and rent the equipment just a stone’s throw from the hotel or even better – online by clicking the equipment package of your choice.
- The Plattenkarbahn and Grünwaldkopfbahns ski lifts, which combine gondola and chair lifts, carry you up to the slopes, as well as to the popular bar and restaurant with a superb pizzaiolo.
- Obertauern is a crowd-pleaser due to its large selection of extra activities ranging from snowshoeing and kiting to cold-weather biking.
- Enjoy the exciting après-ski offer and events, as well as traditional specialities such as the fan-favourite fondue.
- Take the kids to Bibo the Bear’s family ski-park, while freestyle enthusiasts can visit the snow park with an array of attractions.
As a truly fashionable ski resort, which the Beatles also loved, Obertauern offers a first-rate ski school for children, teenagers and adults, private lessons, group skiing and snowboarding courses and a variety of equipment rental packages. This is also one of the most popular family ski resorts, which has an excellent children’s ski programme and instructors that kids simply adore!
Insider’s tip: Every skier knows how handy it is to have accommodation near the piste (especially when you forget something in your room and have to make a “quick run” back). The ski-in and ski-out hotel is the reason why everybody loves Obertauern, because you literally hit the slopes from your room!
When is the best time to visit Obertauern?
December, February and March are the busiest months of the winter season in Obertauern, which is quite appealing throughout. If you want to avoid high season, come during the postseason from Easter onwards or the preseason before the Christmas holidays. Obertauern is at its most enchanting when draped in a snow-white coat, although you can visit it all year round. Even non-skiers can find daily entertainment here, while it is a general rule of thumb to book ski lessons (private, group, children’s or adult) in advance during high season.
· average temperature in winter: from -2 to -7°C
· average temperature in summer: from 20 to 26°C
· ski season: from November to May
· coldest month: January; warmest month: August